Monday, May 30, 2005

Canonizing John Paul

Shortly after Pope John Paul II passed away, I blogged about the talk of canonizing him. I wrote that I thought it was premature. Here is part of what I wrote at the time:
Whatever the merits of John Paul as a saint, I do not believe that the process should be accelerated for him. I like the idea of a five-year waiting period because there can be an upsurge of emotions when a person dies and there is no doubt that this grief can color the decisionmaking process, perhaps causing people to exaggerate how wonderful a person was or to go about the canonization process in semi-irrational fashion. This is not to say that John Paul was not a wonderful person or that he should not receive consideration; only that the canonization process should follow thorough investigation.
The Boston Globe reports that the beatification process is officially underway two weeks after Pope Benedict XVI waived the normal five year waiting period. I still think it is too much too early, that we are stlil affected by the immediate afterglow of affection for John Paul after he passed away to really make the decision in considered fashion.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Critics said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/31/2005 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger The Critics said...

"we are stlil affected by the immediate afterglow of affection for John Paul after he passed away to really make the decision in considered fashion."

Perhaps being affected has overcome your spelling and grammar abilities!

5/31/2005 12:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when one is critized for their spelling. Such a cheap way to get heat.

And what of the content of what was said? Any reactions to that? Let's have a real discussion here.


- Getting Critical on "The Critic"

5/31/2005 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger The Critics said...

I hate it when people post anonymously. Such a cheap way to give heat.

5/31/2005 10:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How am I any more anonymous than you are?


- I Eat Pork

6/01/2005 10:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, am I trying to give heat? Aren't I trying to get heat?

Dumbass critic.


- Patiently Waiting POYS's Next Post

6/01/2005 10:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, did the Critic delete his first comment perchance due to some misspelling?


Hypocrite!


- Wasting My Time On the Critic

6/01/2005 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger The Critics said...

Actually, I deleted it because I neglected to include the words "and grammar," so I wanted to update my post. POYS doesnt have an "edit" feature, so one cannot do so.

I'm not anonymous on this blog, POYS and the in-house posters know who I am.

You're certainly giving and receiving heat. Maybe you should just move to Florida.

6/02/2005 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger Jani said...

Hey here is a site that actually gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other useful information regarding Las Vegas getaways and follies bergere tickets Check it out follies bergere tickets

11/13/2005 01:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home