Sunday, May 08, 2005

Corporate law

I came straight to law school from college without any practical experience, odd-end internships aside. For most of my courses, this hasn't been a problem. Constitutional law was relatively easy for me to understand because it is among the more political areas of the law and gets regular newspaper coverage. Everyone has an opinion on the constitutionality of abortion and affirmative action or is at least vaguely familiar with those issues.

But there are times when going straight through hurts. Corporate law is one of them. I think that a lot of my classmates had experience working for investment banks or consulting firms in New York and they probably already know much of corporate law cold. I have no idea what I'm reading about in large part because I don't have any familiarity with the issues. I just finished reading a case about the obligations that controlling shareholders owe other shareholders when making tender offers, and it was painful to read I think because I didn't have any appreciation for how important this issue is. My imagination can only go so far.

Then again, if I had taken time off, I still wouldn't have gone anywhere near investment banking or consulting. I'm not sure what I would have done, though. Maybe that's why I went straight through.

6 Comments:

Blogger sling said...

there are times when everyone struggles... it's part of the human experience.

try your best.. stay focused.. and keep your eyes on the prize (whatever that may be.. ie.. teaching).

5/09/2005 12:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the point of such a post?

Ellipses are composed of three periods, not two.

5/09/2005 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger bum from jersey said...

sounds like a lot of bitching to me and i am only allowed to bitch remember? i am sure you have done a lot of things before which you had no previous experience at and suceeded, why should this be no different? work hard, and you will be rewarded. and who knows, maybe in 3 years you will be at a place where you can give me a job. good luck speckles!

5/09/2005 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger The Critics said...

Speckles? Sounds strange.

Maybe the real reason why you went straight through is because you got into HARVARD LAW SCHOOL. Who knows.

But I agree with your comment (for once!) on a prima facie basis. In my BBC (Basic Business Concepts), those students who have taken business courses in undergrad and who have had real-world business experience, certainly have an edge. But those same students lose that edge in other courses, such as Con Law, where students such as myself who majored in Government & Politics have already taken courses in that subject. So in the end, it all balances out. (Hopefully)

5/09/2005 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger putonyourspecs said...

I thought you said you hate politics...

5/09/2005 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger The Critics said...

1) Con law isnt all politics...
2) Hatred does not equal absence of knowledge.
3) Reversed and remanded.

5/09/2005 09:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home